“Operating at night has MANY challenges that you should be made aware of!”
NOTE: All SailTime Boston sailing club members who wish to operate club boats between dusk and dawn MUST take this course. Black Rock Sailing Club members are not permitted to operate club boats between dusk and dawn.
Enjoy a one hour shoreside lecture on a range of topics not limited to:
- Recommended gear that will make night operation much easier and safer
- The important of maintaining your night vision
- Unlit buoys equipped with reflective tape that you need to light up with a spotlight
- Lighted aids to navigation and their flashing patterns/characteristics
- A quick review of recreational running lights
- A presentation of larger commercial vessel running lights
- The dangers of city light “pollution” and “mixing up” lights
- The dangers of, and how to minimize/avoid crew overboard situations
- And much more!!
Then head out on at least a three hour night cruise through the harbor islands gaining practical experience reading/navigating using paper charts under a red headlamp and comparing your position to the boat’s GPS and iPad Navionics software to ensure that you are in the channel and avoiding the MANY “invisible” hazards along the way.
CLASS FORMAT (4+ hours)
Monday OR Wednesday evenings from 7:30pm to 11:30pm (or so), May 1 through October 1. One hour classroom lecture followed by at least three hours of night cruising aboard a Hunter 33 (or larger vessel). A minimum of two students are needed to run a class – with a maximum of four students.
$225 per person. $200 p/p for current SailTime Boston members OR for groups of two or more who register together.
Note: All students should bring their own headlamps with red light feature!
Up to four students per class because of the nature of this class (three is the norm, and two is the minimum!)
- World-class instruction from the only school in New England to consistently receive national recognition from the American Sailing Association.
- Learn aboard boats that are young, safe, comfortable and simply the best learning platforms available.
All course dates and pricing are subject to change until you are registered. REFER to your Registration Card provided in your course information for the actual course dates that were discussed at time of your course registration, or give Brenton a call!
Our course policies and refund/date switching policies are mailed with all course books and course information – otherwise available upon request – and are subject to change until you are registered.