Open up a new world of excitement and adventure and get your Basic Keelboat Certification with our excellent guides in Boston. No experience necessary!
WARWICK NIGHT SAILING COURSE
- Solo Student All Ages
- 2+ Students All Ages
- SailTime Boston Member All Ages
Learn to Sail at Night in Warwick
NOTE: All SailTime Boston sailing club members who wish to operate club boats between dusk and dawn MUST take this course. Black Rock Sailing Club members are not permitted to operate club boats between dusk and dawn.
Enjoy a one-hour shoreside lecture on a range of topics not limited to:
- Recommended gear that will make night operation much easier and safer
- The importance of maintaining your night vision
- Unlit buoys equipped with reflective tape that you need to light up with a spotlight
- Lighted aids to navigation and their flashing patterns/characteristics
- A quick review of recreational running lights
- A presentation of larger commercial vessel running lights
- The dangers of city light “pollution” and “mixing up” lights
- The dangers of, and how to minimize/avoid crew overboard situations
- And much more!
Then head out on at least a three-hour night cruise through the harbor islands gaining practical experience reading/navigating using paper charts under a red headlamp and comparing your position to the boat’s GPS and iPad Navionics software to ensure that you are in the channel and avoiding the MANY “invisible” hazards along the way.
7:30 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
Must have completed ASA 103 to participate in Night Sailing Course
What to Bring
Note: All students should bring their own headlamps with red light feature!
- Minimum of 2 students to run the course, we will contact you if needed to reschedule.
- All SailTime Boston sailing club members who wish to operate club boats between dusk and dawn MUST take this course. Black Rock Sailing Club members are not permitted to operate club boats between dusk and dawn.